Saturday, October 31, 2009

the minor fall and the major lift


My first Friday night as a single girl and I spend it alone at home with a box of Cheddar Bunnies? Seriously. I treated myself to a twenty dollar bottle of Cabernet and a few bargain bags of Halloween candy, made myself a tuna melt and curled up on the couch with a movie.

It was one of my favorite nights in the new apartment, which is starting to feel like home and not just this big, unfinished project (particularly now that I rid the freezer of that smelly half-defrosted organic lasagna).

Now I will quote Nietzsche, who once wrote, " . . . the greatest events—they are not our loudest but our stillest hours."*

I wake up every morning feeling free. I am finding my own will to power, my own "wholesome, heavy selfishness" and learning to listen to the commanding "I" and "yes" and "no" that come from myself alone.

*from Thus Spoke Zarathustra, translated by Walter Kaufmann, (Penguin, 1996).

3 comments:

craigtrademark said...

no vegan chocolate cake?

miss.

Kathleen said...

Cherish it! And Alleluia.

Anonymous said...

better keep some of those cheddar bunnies in stock for my visit in jan...!