Tuesday, April 19, 2011

here's to opening and upward, to leaf and to sap


To be sure, between the lady part cancer scare and the herniated discs, I have complained a lot of late.

Really, since September, in my self-imposed exile, self-shortened by the crisp call of a Northeast October, I've been riding my one-woman roller coaster through the Depths of Despair. The peaks have been higher than the drops were low, but I screamed bloody murder all the same.

I've struggled with gratitude. Easy to come by at the tops and crests, arms up and face to the blinding sun. Woohoo escapes your lips and all gods and grandeur answer back.

Then the car catches on the hydraulic brakes, your neck jerks, and the fun comes to a complete and semifinal stop. Five weeks pass in slothdom and sedentary fever. You wonder who you are without all that you have worked so goddamned hard to be grateful for, those big yellow life rafts that steer you through your self-created shipwrecks. How easy it is to lose face, to lose footing.

Four months ago, I fell for a man who's brought me nothing but blessings. Abundance in Bohemia, a living fit for kings. And that man appears to have the patience of ten. Note how he cares for me, carries me down subway stairs, ferries me in service lifts and . . . (forgive me if I gloat) breakfasts me in bed.

I write while he writes. I sleep while he dances. So what if I crane my face away at three am to cry myself to sleep—the very next day he dries my tears. This too shall pass. I'm young and vital and my back will heal. Today the Quackopractor even let me swim.

(Moving through the YMCA pool, I am exultant.)

3 comments:

Phoenix said...

I love this post so much. I can hear the self-deprecating humor and wit in your voice in most of your posts, but it really shines here, as does your love of life and love for Jack.

Hang in there, hang in there, hang in there. That's all I can say. Gratitude will move you from one jerky moment to the next, until it becomes a dance yet again.

Anonymous said...

As Homer Simpson says "You can't keep blaming yourself. Just blame yourself once, and move on."

Chloe van Dynn said...

Oh, your lovely spirit and the wisdom in your words-- I hope your body heals up and lets you dance again soon. Til then, there are the words...